Poor Katie, we are always thinking of ways to torture her =)Lately I have become very concerned about her lack of weight gain, constipation, and increasingly worse eczema which can only be treated with steroid creams. When she was 18 months old we took her to Primary Children's hospital and they ran a battery of tests to determine the reason for her "failure to thrive" as they labeled it. None of these tests returned conclusive so we have just lived with and accepted her size as just who she is.
This year I really have become determined to find the root cause of these issues she has battled with her entire life. I have a cousin who was diagnosed with Celiac Disease which is an intollerance to gluten- the protein found in Wheat and Barley. I talked to him as well as my doctor and they said it is definetly possible that she has some kind of food allergy at the least so the first thing on the list to eliminate from her diet is Gluten.
So starting Monday we put her on a strict Gluten Free diet. It has proven to be much harder than I thought. I had no idea how many food products have wheat in them.... For example fruit snacks., who would have thought? But I am really convinced it is something that is preventing her from absorbing nutrients in her food (which is what the Gluten does in people intollerant to it, it flattens the celia in the small intestine and prohibits nutrient obsorption). So we'll see how this goes, I'm really hoping and at the same time not hoping that its the issue.. I'd like to fix it but avoiding wheat your entire life can't be easy or fun for a kid =(
7 comments:
awww, I hope (and like you, not hope) that is the problem and that is helps her to find out exactly what the cause is. Keep me posted. I sure hope they find out the reasons.. gluten free or not. Love you Katie!! be strong Jami..it will all work out. If she does have this.. she will be the healthiest child on earth!! well at least that is a good way to look at it!
how sad for her! I hope you get it figured out! I'm hearing about more and more people with gluten allergies too. Plus I've heard it may be linked to autism. It's probably not good for most of us!
Wow, good luck! I have heard that the gluten free diet can help with all kinds of things, ADHD and autism too. I have always thought of trying it to help Carter concentrate better? Let me know how it works out!
Good Luck Jami, I have a few relatives with Celiac disease & they were relieved to finally figure out how they could help themselves. There are a lot of things that contain gluten, but in some stores they have a pretty good section of gluten free things.
Good Luck Jami, I have a few relatives with Celiac disease & they were relieved to finally figure out how they could help themselves. There are a lot of things that contain gluten, but in some stores they have a pretty good section of gluten free things.
you should talk with Micah Lasley because I think that Meghan does a gluten free diet too. Good Luck!
Wow...I cannot believe how much I have heard about this lately. That would be difficult, but I know that the more awareness there is the more help you will have. I know that there are several cook books out there for gluten free diets. Good luck! I hope that you guys are able to figure it all out!
Post a Comment